Friday 14 October 2011

Ceska Posta

For most expats, just the very thought of having to do anything at the post office is one we would like to avoid. Unfortunately it is something that, for me anyway, is unavoidable. Today however, I was on a very different errand, I needed to post something very valuable and it had to be done by Registered post. This would require me to actually talk to someone - not just show them a pickup slip or say 'stamp'.
As I entered the main Post Office in Prague 1, I selected the correct number on a little machine and it printed a ticket for me. The main Prague post office is in a building with an interior the size of a small shopping centre. I was apparently standing at the wrong end of the 'hall' waiting for my number to be called. When my number was called I proceeded to walk up to the counter with my paper work when, oops sorry! Next number was just called...get a new number. So i stood waiting where I thought I would definitely NOT miss my number, only to miss it again! Here is me now thinking that in order to get to the counter in time I will need to sprint and elbow any passerby's out of the way.
Third time to the ticket machine and I am well and truly fed up and I haven't even seen the lady whom I share no common language with.
Eventually, I made it to the counter before they called the next number to be greeted by a friendly, smiling lady! "Nemluvim Cesky, prosim prominte" I say to the nice lady then show her the little dialogue I had google translated saying exactly what I wanted. She was very patient with me and even though we didn't speak each others languages we communicated and got the job done! I was pleasantly surprised by my trip to the Ceska Posta and I think I may be over my irrational fear. Dekuji!

No comments:

Post a Comment